Monday, August 11, 2008

Textiles of Madison

For those of us interested in textiles, I thought I'd post some of the textiles we found in the Lanier Mansion in Madison.

We were amazed at the different taste in decorating 200 years ago.


There were no qualms about papering a room with one palette and then carpeting the same room with something in totally different colors and crazy patterns.

I did enjoy this beautiful quilt. Recently I've been feeling that yearning to do some more quilting. I still owe David a baby quilt since I made one for all the others.

This carpet was in the room with the quilt. Nice and simple compared to the rest of the house.



Check out the mix of wallpaper and carpet in this little office room!

Another intricately designed carpet:


The girls' room was very feminine -- roses on the wall paper, roses at the windows and covering the bed and pink on the floor too.

Hopefully you can see the amazing combination in this room on the wallpaper, curtains, and carpet!
I really did like the carpet design, but maybe for decorating a calligraphy or as inspiration for embroidery, or even a throw rug -- just not wall-to-wall carpeting. :)


History can be so beautiful!

1 comment:

southseaislandhome said...

Oh dear - I am drooling over that quilt - love that red and green and white combination. And that carpet would make a nice embroidery pattern.
Rachel