Friday, April 27, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Time of Year

Strawberry-rhubarb is definitely one of my favorite flavor combinations. My rhubarb patch on the side of my house grows stronger each year and I decided last week it was time to make something with it. This crumble (which I made gluten-free) was so easy and so delicious.


STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUMBLE

Filling:
3 cups frozen strawberries (I just covered the bottom of my 9x13 with whole strawberries)
3-4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. instant tapioca granules (those not gluten free can use regular flour)
juice of 1 lemon

Topping:
1 1/4 cups gluten free flour (I used 1 cup brown rice and 1/4 cup white rice)
8 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar

Mix together the filling ingredients in a 9x13 baking dish. Combine the flour and sugar for the topping and cut in the butter, mixing with your fingers until crumbs form. Sprinkle over filling.

Bake at 350F for around 1 hour until the filling is bubbling visibly at the center of the dish.


2 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

That is my husband's favorite combination, too.

We tried growing rhubarb by the back fence and it died. Hubby thinks there was either a walnut tree there at one time.

We haven't planted it again but were just talking about it last week.

willow said...

I love rhubarb too. I miss the rhubarb I used to grow at my allotment so just yesterday I bought a plant at the garden centre. No cutting from it this year while it gets established but hopefully I can look forward to some in a year or two.