Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Preparing for Thanksgiving!


We are looking forward to hosting Thanksgiving at our house again this year -- this time for my side of the family! Since our return from vacation I've been menu-planning, china-collecting, and list-making!

I find it very helpful to be able to run to my blog and see what I did in previous years. It saves a lot of time if recipes are missing, or I forgot things that would be good. Here's what I wrote about last year (you have to scroll down through the post to find the Thanksgiving list).

So this year's plan includes, but could be subject to change at any moment, the following:

Mulled hot cider
Chilled cider with sliced lemons and oranges

Appetizers:
Roasted Butternut Arugula Crostini
Baked Olives
Veggie Tray with hummus and dip
Baked Brie with Brown Sugar and Pecans
Smoked Gouda cheeseball log
Nuts
Caramel Popcorn
Apple slices with caramel dip
Portuguese Cheese Puffs with Parma Ham or Prosciutto

The Meal:
Turkey -- spatchcocked
Gravy - I may try a make-ahead version as well as regular pan gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing -- I kind of make my own with celery, onions, and sausage
GF Stuffing
Salad
Cranberry Sauce
Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprouts
Green Beans with Blue Cheese

The Pies:
Pumpkin Vanilla Bourbon Pie
Chocolate Pie -- a big hit last year
Pecan Pie -- also dearly loved last year!
Apple Pie
Blueberry Pie
Maple Walnut Cream Pie
Ginger Pumpkin Meringue Pie -- this is incredible and can be made gluten-free and dairy free by making appropriate substitutions, and, of course, you need to substitute pureed pumpkin for the mashed sweet potatoes
Pear/Cranberry Pie

Now it's time to take these ideas and begin to execute them!

No comments: